Time: 45 minutes
As you can tell, I love pastas. This is probably my favourite in the book but everyone has different tastes. Cooking this in a wok works best.
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 14 oz. chicken breast (two medium chicken breasts)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. asparagus (about 24 pieces)
- 3 1/2 cups of penne pasta
- 1/3 cup light cream cheese
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 4 bacon strips (optional)
- Mix parsley, oregano, basil, 1/2 tsp black pepper and 1/2 tsp salt together. Set aside. Add avocado or coconut oil to a frying pan on medium heat.
- Sprinkle the mixed dried ingredients from step 1 onto one side of the chicken breasts and lay in the frying pan.
- Boil enough water to cover the pasta comfortably while chicken is cooking. Brown the chicken, which should take approximately 10 minutes. In the meantime, add pasta to boiling water with salt to taste, stirring occasionally (don’t spill out all the water, save 1/3 cup after your pasta is complete and set aside). Remove the chicken and cut into thin slices.
- Prepare your garlic and asparagus by trimming the ends of the garlic and mincing, and trimming the ends (about two inches) of your asparagus and then cutting the asparagus into 1 inch pieces.
- In a large deep skillet, melt butter before adding flour. Aggressively whisk together for 1-2 minutes. Add garlic and whisk again for another minute. While whisking in garlic, add milk, cream, and a bit of salt and pepper. Once the mixture thickens and comes to a boil, add cream cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Once cheese is melted, add asparagus, pasta (wait one minute after adding asparagus), and chicken (wait one minute after adding pasta), mixing after each addition.
- Once the pasta has absorbed the sauce, you can pour that starchy pasta water in, ensuring all the sauce sticks to the pasta!
- Optional – garnish with crumbled bacon and any fresh herbs you enjoy. Adding a few pieces of crisp, crumbled bacon to this recipe make it a delight!
- Serve immediately!